Tuesday, April 2, 2013


8 x 10 wood mounted print - Spring by Auguste Pierre Cot (1873)
8 x 10 wood mounted print - Bathing nudes
Small framed print - Bacchus and Ariadne by Titian (1520 - 1523)

All $1.99 each @ Value Village.

What a score!  I don't normally look at smaller prints, but I'm glad I decided to today.  I love renaissance art, and all of these are fantastic!

$1.99 was a steal already, but they seemed even more worth it because they were also backed with wood.  I've never seen that before!

I found out who made the first painting, but I can't find any info on the other ones.  They're both so beautiful!

The first one, the girl's expression is just amazing...she looks so content and in love.  I feel the same way when I look at it!

The other one has nudes, but it's just so tastefully done.  A lot of older paintings feature fuller figured women, but these women have the kind of bodies I find beautiful.

A better look at the small framed picture:


I'm not too crazy about the print, but I do like it.  I mostly like how it's presented...the frame is so neat!  You can't tell from the picture, but the glass overlay is convex...it's a neat effect.

Upon chance, I found out who painted this...I really didn't think I could find out since there's really nothing I know to search for in there.  This is the full painting:


Before I found that, I saw this picture painted by Dosso Dossi:


So of course, I thought he was the painter!  That is some kind of plagiarism...but by looking up the guy depicted (Bacchus), I was able to find the correct one.

*edit*


5 months later, I just discovered that the other print was painted by no other than my favourite artist, William Bouguereau!  The Nymphaeum, 1878.

No comments:

Post a Comment