Tuesday, July 28, 2015


Framed french court picture:  $20 @ Hospice thrift store

I almost didn't come here, but I'm so glad I did!  I wasn't quite sure how to get there, and the directions were a bit confusing.  Well, when I go there it was easy to find, and it was on the way home, so I went.

Most of the store was overpriced, and I thought I saw a smaller picture for $100!  I was sure this would be expensive too, but I almost didn't bother to look.

At first I thought it said $200, but when I looked closer, I thought it said $20.00!!  Looking even closer, I was sure that was what it said.  Maybe that first picture I saw was actually only $10, but I didn't care by then.

A worker helped me get it down (and it turns out you were actually supposed to ask them every time), and she said she wasn't sure if it was ready to be sold..since some other top shelf items had a sign saying they weren't.

I thought this one was fine since there wasn't a sign in that area, but it was a nerve wracking few minutes!  Luckily it all worked out.  I just wish I knew who painted it, I can't find anything online or make out the signature:


On the back someone wrote "festival ball," but I don't think that means anything.  I wonder what the name of the piece actually is.

I love how elegant the room is.  I'd love to have one like that!  The best part was, this thing was huge!!!  31.5 x 40.5 inches, plus it's all in like new condition.  Except there's no glass, so hopefully I'l find a pane later on.

I'm still so shocked at that price!  It'd probably be $200+ from a seller or dealer, and I'd even think that $40-$50 would be a reasonable thrift store price.  Of course I'm happy I snagged it for so cheap.

Actually, the thrift stores around here have charged pretty crazy prices for pictures that size!  Over $100 at both Value Village and the Salvation army...sometimes $150+.  The latter has gotten almost as bad as the former recently, and they always have worse stuff!

It is the same size and price as the last picture I got, which was a great deal too!  Except that one was just a framed poster, this is much nicer since it's an actual print.

The thrift store even had a box of free stuff outside!  Always a nice bonus when it happens.  Actually, this is only the second time I've seen it happen.  A lot of the stuff was broken, but I came home with this:


A cute plate, wallpaper border, and ribbon.  I think they could have sold the plate, but later on I saw a sticker on the back that said it was not for food consumption..which must mean there's lead paint on there!  I probably would have left it if I noticed that before.

That's why I'm wary about buying secondhand dishes.  For one I think it's gross (unless they're clearly new), but more importantly, sometimes you're not sure it's decorative or functional.

They had a lot of baskets in the free pile, and some empty picture frames.  Those were all in pretty good condition so I don't know why they didn't try to sell them.

So this find made me extremely happy the rest of the day!!  The store is small though, so I don't know how good their turnaround is.  Moreover, it's so far away...I probably won't go there very often.

No comments:

Post a Comment