Thursday, September 10, 2015


Finally got around to customizing that free dresser I got a while back.  It cost me around $25, which was basically just the paint.  It's stupidly expensive here!  I know it goes for as low a $3.50 a can in the states.  Here's what it used to look like:



Didn't like it at all back then, but now I love it!  It's funny how a new coat of paint can change things so drastically.  I used Krylon's ballet slipper spray paint, and I ended up using nearly 4 cans!  It was my first time spray painting, and it was wayyy harder than I expected.

It was terrible at first!  The coverage was uneven, and there was noticeable shade variation.  I kept on adding more layers to even it out, but that didn't work...eventually I said "good enough" and just stopped.  Somehow, it ended up looking way better a few days later, but you can still see the imperfections.

There's already a huge chip, ugh!  I think I need to put an additional sealer on top to prevent more chippage.

I really wish I didn't use as much paint.  I think I could have gone with around 2 if I was efficient enough.  Oh well, at least I'll know for next time.

I also spray painted the handles gold.  It used to be a dirty kind of bronze.  That was way easier! Turns out the hardest thing to spray paint is a flat surface, so I was being a bit too ambitious with this first project.

I also lined all of the drawers with that leopard wrapping paper I got at Michael's.  There's so much in that roll!  I used a bit over 1 for the entire thing.


Overall, I'm so happy with how it turned out.  It's my favourite piece of furniture!  All of my other ones are old and crappy..having something nice strangely made me feel a lot better overall.  I can't wait to do my other ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment