Sunday, August 9, 2015


Ceramic elephant plant stand:  $10

Got this off of Craigslist.  The seller stopped replying for a long while, and suddenly contacted me out of the blue....the other elephant I was looking to buy fell through, so I was happy to get this one.

It was bigger than I expected, so that made me really happy.  It's about 18 inches long and 17.5 inches tall, contrary to the 14 x 16 inches he quoted me.

This is the one I really wanted:


It's the most beautifully carved elephant stand I've seen so far!  But the seller said it was only about a foot long and a foot high, which is way smaller than I thought from the picture...it looked huge there!  I was intending to use it as a table, and that would have been too small.

They wanted $30, but it didn't feel worth it since it was kind of small.  I took a long time to make a decision, and they ended up deciding to keep it.

I wonder if it was actually bigger than they said!  They didn't have it in hand so they couldn't give me exact measurements.  Now I kind of wish I bought it, or at least saw it in person...it could have been the right size!

That one was like a work of art, whereas the one I got was kind of kitschy.  I am planning on painting it pink, and I do think it'll be really cute after...but I'll always wonder about that other one!

Funnily enough, I actually saw two elephant stands at Value Village today!  The first time I've ever seen them secondhand.  They were $25 each, and they had a London Drugs sticker on them.  I didn't want to pay that much for them, plus I'd rather have a vintage one.

They kind of looked like these ones, except brown and with trunks up.  Not the same sculpt, but a similar look:


It was an ok sculpt, certainly better than others I've seen....but I just didn't find it very charming.  It was a lot bigger than the other ones though - nearly two feet tall both ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment